Monday, July 14, 2014

Some issues.

Hospitality is an industry full of people that do not drink normally.

I don't think it's anybodys fault because it's kind of just part of the lifestyle - you work, with limited food and generally no or limited breaks (in my experience) anywhere from 5-10 hours, dealing with bitchy wives, angry drunks and just plain idiots, the whole time with a smile plastered on your face. It's an emotionally exhausting job, and I've done it since I was 15. So then you finally get to the end of your shift, and for every shift that you do you get offered a free "staff drink". In a lot of the places that I have worked, if you don't stick around after your shift and have a drink with your colleagues it's seen as rude.

Obviously this can all be beaten by that classic "just say no" that we all know isn't that simple but alas, today is my first day back at the bar saying no to staff drinks. (oh and did I mention that we are attached to a bottle store where we get all wine at a huge discount? Yeah...) Aside from that, my flatmate is having a large going-away party on Friday that I want to attend but am freaking out about, and I am going to the theatre on Saturday with my old manager who is a beer queen. Cue freak out no.3. One day at a time though!
I got some more St Johns Wort (anti anxiety).

Other than those couple of niggles, I woke up this morning clear headed and the sun is shining :) So here we go into day 3!

No comments:

Post a Comment